Causes is the largest platform for activism and cause-minded people on the internet. Over 500,000 causes have been created by nonprofits or supporters through Facebook and those causes cover just about every topic out there. 150 million people have joined a cause.
We have built a very dynamic platform where people enjoy coming to share what they care about and then get their friends involved. Based on that, we have built tools so you as a nonprofit can maximize this network in order to gain new supporters and donors as well as connect with people in fundraising or community building. We have raised over $35 million for nonprofits since we started, but our nonprofit fundraising tools are relatively new.
The basis of our platform is creating communities. Many of our communities have been started by nonprofits, but the nonprofits are also building communities on Facebook or Twitter.
If you do have a community on Causes, you can connect not only on Facebook but also through email. Fundraising can also be done right from Causes. Donating and fundraising is a big part of your Causes community and we have added peer to peer aspects to Causes so it is very integrated with Facebook.
Why Fundraise with Causes?
1. Tested, customizable and easy to use donation pages
2. The "Big Donor Experience" makes a really positive experience
3. Peer-to-peer fundraising through Facebook
4. Easy Promotion: Unique URL, Facebook Page and Cause integration
Once you join Causes, here are a few rules how to make the most of fundraising through social media:
Rule #1: Build Community - you have to build community before you ask for money
- Communicate regularly
- Ask questions, answer questions
- Send great media
- Give recognition to most active supporters
Rule #2: Give the People What They Want - the top questions donors have are:
- What am I donating to?
- Why does my donation matter?
- Why now?
Rule #3: Cross-Channel Promotion - use all of your channels to promote your cause
- Cause Community
Rule #4: Create Excitement and Momentum - plan a campaign schedule
- Announce Launch Date
- Create video about why our project matters
- Profile someone who donated and someone who will be impacted
- Update when you are halfway there or have X amount of money to go
- Announce when the project is funded
- Follow-up with updates on how the money has been put to use
People want to know they are making an impact and they want to be able to share that with their friends and families. Causes allows you to use that aspect of social media to maximize fundraising.
For more about Causes and how other nonprofits have used this platform, please watch the recording from this webinar.
If you have questions or would like to make a comment about this subject, please join the conversation at The Network for Good Online Community.
Adapted by Kristina Leroux